No one wants to deal with a dead battery in their vehicle, especially if you’re driving your BMW. So every car is equipped with a rechargeable battery that powers the headlights, cabin lights, and also provides the means to start the car. Your battery is the first source of an electrical current that enables the starter to begin the combustion process for your engine.
After this initial burst of electrical power from the battery, the alternator keeps the electrical systems working in your BMW. The alternator converts mechanical energy from the engine into electrical energy. The battery doesn’t have enough power to do that, but what your battery must do is start your engine.
The typical BMW battery can last roughly five years. Even if your vehicle is new, certain actions can drain the battery and make its trips to the mechanic more frequent. You’ll want to avoid things like leaving your lights on. Try to keep an eye out for electrical glitches or loose battery connections.
Signs To Watch Out For:
It can be be very easy to accidentally drain the battery in your vehicle’s so it’s important to keep an eye out for these warning signs that might indicate your BMW’s battery is beginning to fail.
- Slow engine crank: If your BMW starts to crank slowly, even if the engine starts, you should worry because this is one of the first signs that its battery is beginning to fail. You don’t wait until the engine sputters completely to a dead stop.
- The lights won’t come on: If your BMW’s headlights aren’t coming on, you’re probably not dealing with a lightbulb issue. The battery is likely failing.
- Needing a jump-start: Even if you accidentally left your lights on and need a jump-start this morning, performing the jump can wear down the health of your vehicle’s battery. This could mean that the life of your BMW’s battery lasts for a shorter time than designed. If you’ve ever jump-started your BMW, keep a sharp eye on its battery to make sure it’s in prime condition, still being powered by your alternator.
- Your engine refuses to crank: This one is sure to call for a battery checkup. If your vehicle isn’t starting at all and you’re having to ask your neighbor to jump-start your car, chances are you’re in need of a new battery.
Driving any car, especially a luxury BMW, you tend to care about improving your gas mileage. Well did you know that there are things that you can do to make your BMW more fuel-efficient and reduce your gas costs? You can usually help you car be more efficient with regular maintenance. Think of it like this: the better each part of your vehicle is running, the more efficiently they will work together. Inefficiencies and problems caused by missing maintenance tend to significantly impact your gas mileage and makes your vehicle waste a lot of fuel to make up for these problems.
Let’s take a deep dive into how regular maintenance can improve your gas mileage and the other benefits that come from regular maintenance appointments at Foreign Affair Auto.
Regular Maintenance Can Improve Your Gas Mileage
Whenever you drive your vehicle off of the lot, it is running at the efficiency that the manufacturer built it for. Every part of the car is working correctly and in line with one another, leaving no room for inefficiencies. However wear and tear and other issues will start to get in the way.
Here are several of the potential vehicle problems that can significantly reduce your fuel efficiency and make you spend more on gas:
- Missed oil change: Poor oil viscosity increases friction throughout the vehicle and reduces efficiency significantly.
- Full air filters: If your air filter is clogged or overfull, it reduces airflow in your vehicle. This reduces your gas mileage.
- Loose gas cap: Without a proper seal, gas will evaporate instead of being used by the vehicle.
- Under-inflated tires: When tires are not properly full of air, they create friction that reduces the efficiency of your vehicle.
- Unaligned wheels: If your tires are moving out of sync with one another, they create friction and drag that will force your vehicle to consume more fuel.
Longer Service Life
It is pretty simple- if you keep your vehicle in good working order, then it will last longer. Every part will experience less damage and wear-and-tear, which means the vehicle as a whole will hold up longer. Small issues should be corrected by maintenance before they get too serious and this should extend your vehicle’s lifespan. Like most car owners, if you want to drive your BMW for as long as possible, then this extended life may be very valuable to you.
Maintain the Value of Your Vehicle
Keeping up with the regular maintenance of your vehicle is very essential. This is especially true if you are someone who is considering selling your vehicle, trading it in, or maybe just passing it down to one of your children one day. This means that the better your vehicle has been maintained, then when it comes to selling it, a buyer will look at it more favorable, and hopefully be willing to pay. Many believe that just the sheer mileage of the car isn’t the only thing that will determine your vehicle’s worth, condition matters too. If you can demonstrate that you’ve followed manufacturer recommendations for major maintenance items, then you might be able to sell your vehicle for a better price.
If decide to gift or pass down your car to your child, then you will know that they are getting a good and maintained vehicle that has the most value.
Have a Safer Vehicle
Safety is one of the most important things potential drivers look for and consider when getting a vehicle. Typically, drivers are looking for a reliable vehicle that will work to prevent accidents. You want a vehicle that will react properly in accidents, and should you get into an accident, minimize any damage to you and your family. Keeping your vehicle in good condition is the best way to ensure that it is safe to drive.
Cut Down on Repair Costs
Many car owners loathe going to the repair shop because of the potential cost of expensive repairs. But did you know that this situation becomes a lot more uncommon if you are keeping up with your vehicle’s routine maintenance needs. Ignoring any small issues that a mechanic could have quickly fixed will likely get out of hand, and begin to impact other parts of the vehicle, which would significantly increase the cost of your repairs. So it is important to keep your repairs under control with regular maintenance from well-trained professionals.
Reduce the Risk of Major Breakdowns
Unfortunately, major breakdowns can happen out of nowhere. But, more often, they are the result of months of years of missed maintenance that eventually take their toll on the vehicle. Major breakdowns are expensive and inconvenient, so keeping up with maintenance to avoid them is essential.
Contact Foreign Affairs
Are you sick of high maintenance cost at the dealership to maintain the car you love? Find yourself searching Google for BMW service near me, BMW repair me or BMW Services West Palm Beach? Do yourself a favor and click on Foreign Affairs! We have been dedicated to servicing BMW and our customers in West Palm Beach FL for decades, Schedule an appointment for service. You can find us located at 1681 N Military Trail, West Palm Beach, FL 33409.